Mundie Moms

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo / Book Review


Written by: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (Fierce Reads)
Release Date: September 29, 2015
Series: Six of Crows, Volume 1
Purchase: Publisher | Barnes and Noble | Amazon | IndieBound| Book Depository
Add to Goodreads
Source: Purchased

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 gloriously dark and catchy stars

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.


I can't believe that Crooked Kingdom's release date, September 27th, is almost here. That reminded me that I hadn't reviewed Six of Crows, yet.

What can I tell you about this story that you haven't already read? Maybe I can mention that Leigh blows up her Grishaverse to expose a dark underbelly of drugged grishas, gangs and shady characters galore. One of them is my very favorite character, Kaz, the leader of one of those gangs and the one tasked with freeing the creator of the drug used on grishas.

The Slavic lore that Leigh used in The Grisha trilogy continues, and it adds layers of mythology. I hope one day, Leigh publishes a companion guide to this world she has created. While reading it, I always feel like I'm forgetting details that may be important at some point. While the story is full of description,  the action in the plot is what adds to the intrigue and even to the slightly romantic possibilities that we all hope come to pass.  Action and romance? Yes, please.

In the midst of a sea of very formulaic YA fantasy plots, this one is different. And hey, with the sequel only weeks away, it is worth picking up and perusing. With a large cast of characters, you are guaranteed to love at least one. But, leave Kaz for me, please, because I adore all his shady complexity already.

So, have you read it? What did you think?


5 comments:

  1. I love this series. Can't wait for the next one to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice! I still need to read this one, but after reading the reviews when it first came out, I decided that I would save myself the torment of its cliffhanger and binge the duology when its complete! And that's almost here!! Yay! Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review Sophie. <3 I'm glad you mostly loved this book :D Yesss. Kaz is my favorite too. <3 I read this book a year ago, and ahh, I must re-read it now so that I can finally read Crooked Kingdom :D

    ReplyDelete

Labels