Mundie Moms

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Starflight by Melissa Landers / Audiobook Review


By: Melissa Landers
Published by: Disney Hyperion
Series:Starflight #1
Audiobook: Starlight by Tantor Audio
Released on: February 2, 2016
Purchase from: The Publisher | Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add it to Goodreads
Rating: 4 stars - I liked it (a LOT)
Source: Purchased

Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.

When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...


This is exactly the palate-cleansing story I needed to get me out of a high fantasy reading slump. A romantic, action-packed sci-fi tale? Yes, please.

I read this in a few short sittings and what kept me turning pages was the well crafted Solara Brooks. Her thoughts and actions made me want to walk right next to her and help her out whenever possible. Then there is the entirely too selfish, impossibly funny Doran. The two of them have that chemistry that just jumps off the page. They are adorable, frustrating and perfect.

You know when I talk about high stakes in plots and how necessary that is (especially these days with  overly long stories)? Melissa gets that and gives you plenty of OHWOW moments. She also gives you that wonderful supporting cast of characters who only make the plot better and never take away from the main leads.

The romance, you ask? It's the best of the best. A will-they-won't-they kind. It's full of snarky banter, coy moments and tricky situations. The romance will inspire a smile and at least a few "awwww"s, so be careful about where you are reading it.

Because I listened to the audiobook, I have to add that the narrator Amanda Dolan did a wonderful job in bringing the characters to life. She delivered the humorous moments as well as the emotional passages in such a way that I know I was laughing and sighing out loud.

Traditionally summer is a time to read lots of contemporary stories, and I fall so easily into that trend. But when you are out and about, pick up Starflight. It has all the elements of a romantic contemp in a logically laid out sci-fi world. I am anxiously awaiting the sequel, Starfall.

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

5 comments:

  1. Oooh nice! I can't wait to read this one! It sounds so good! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to like this one too, it's on my list to get to this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eee, yay :D So glad you liked this book so much Sophie. <3 Gorgeous review :) It was a four star for me too. I also liked it so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like her last series (don't shoot me anyone) but this one really sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Labels