Mundie Moms

Friday, January 15, 2016

The 5th Wave - Spoiler Free Movie Review



    A desperate teen (Chloƫ Grace Moretz) tries to save her younger brother as increasingly deadly attacks decimate most of the Earth.

    On Wednesday night 1/13, my daughter & I were lucky enough to win tickets to an advance screening of The 5th Wave from Penguin Teen Australia. It was held at one of the large cinemas in Melbourne.  Due to time zone help and an earlier release date in Australia. we were one of the first in the world to see it.

    Now here I'll admit that I hadn't read the book by Rick Yancey. I know very naughty of me. But my Miss 13 had and filled me in of the basic characters and plot before hand.  We follow Cassie who has found herself alone in the woods fending for herselve in the middle of an apocalypse.  The earth has received four waves of attack from an alien enemy and is now waiting for the 5th wave not knowing what or when it might be.

    I am a big fan of dystopian and apocalyptic stories.  I read many dystopian books and watch The Walking Dead the day each episode is released.  But I have seen many poorly made movies or tv shows that make the world too unbelievable. The 5th Wave is not like this at all.  I loved the way this was shot and how the story was told. The actors were amazing, very well cast from what I can tell without reading the book. Chloe Grace Moretz (whom some of you might remember from Kickass & If I Stay) was very strong in the lead.  Her flash back scenes to her life before showed her as a normal teenager quietly going through life.  Her scenes of survival and hard decision making were portrayed well.  

    The supporting cast were very good as well.  Cassie's brother Sam (played by Zackary Arthur) does a great job for a young kid and makes you want to save him too.  And don't worry there are plenty great lines and of hunky boy scenes, including a shirtless Evan (played by Alex Roe) which got the whole cinema cheering.

    Think The Walking Dead without the gore, meets The Hunger Games meets The Host.  A fantastic film that could be watched without reading the book, but it will still make you want to read it afterwards anyway.  I've just started it :-)

3 comments:

  1. Great review Em! I can't wait to see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review!!! I am so looking forward to the movie and the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. once I figure out where I can watch the film at last I found a link where I can
    watch the film, please you here


    http://bit.ly/1VyLXwm

    there you can watch the film for even you can download, thank you for goo movie.
    already showed me a place where I can watch the film

    ReplyDelete

Labels