Mundie Moms

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My Top Ten Favorite Heroines; Top Ten Tuesday #21

This weekly meme is hosted by The Broke & the Bookish

Hello & welcome to this week's post. Last week's topic was Ten Bookish Problems I Have. This week's topic is My Top Ten Favorite Heroines. This week's topic is hard to narrow down, as there are so many fantastic heroines in the YA book world. Today's list was chosen from both 2014 & 2015 books I have read and featured here on the blog. First, what is the definition of a heroine?

her.o.ine
/'herewen/
noun

A women admired or idealized for her courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities. 

Here are the 10 most memorable heroines from this past year:
  1. Celaena Sardothien from Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas.
  2. Tessa from Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. You will always find her on my heroine's list.  
  3. Juliette from Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi.
  4. Meria from Snow Likes Ashes by Sarah Raasch.
  5. Princess Cleo from Gathering Darkness by Morgan Rhodes.
  6. Alexa from Ignite by Sara B. Larson.
  7. Lia from The Kiss of Deception by Mary E Pearson.
  8. Annih from Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers.
  9. Maddie & Verity from Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  10. Rose Justice from Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein.
Each of these characters possesses qualities I greatly admire. First and foremost, they are courageous. They each have incredible strength, courage, and loyalty to their cause and those they love. They stand up and fight for their causes. They are not afraid to risk their lives to protect those they love. They have a fierceness that drives them. They have the ability to decipher what's right vs what they're told is right. They have an unwavering ability to follow their instincts and their hearts. They're not afraid to take the road less traveled, even if that means they're the only ones. Nor are they afraid to sacrifice all for what they know, feel, and believe to right or true. They're not afraid defy their duty or privilege for the sake of what is right. They're intelligent, and think things through. 

While the list above features some of my most favorite fictional characters, I can not list create a list of heroines, with out mentioning a real life one, who's story really touched me. 
To me, some of the bravest, most courageous, strongest, fiercest fighters I know in life, are those who are and have battled cancer. While I didn't know Regine personally, her story of her life is one that moved me. She never gave up fighting. She fought till the end. Maybe it's because I'm a lot more sentimental on this, as a dear friend of mine is having a complex surgery to remove a brain tumor (her second surgery) today, and another friend is battling stage 4 breast cancer, that I can't help but mention that while I love my fictional heroines, it's the real life heroines that I admire the most. 

Who are some of your favorite fictional heroines?

5 comments:

  1. i have truly never read any of these books but they seem amazing.

    MY TOP TEN TUESDAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely went with Celaena Sardothien too - she's my all time favorite heroine ♥ I still need to read Snow Like Ashes, Shatter Me and The Infernal Devices though but they are all on my tbr shelf :) Oh and I only just started the His Fair Assassin series - can't wait to be caught up! Awesome picks^^

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great list filled with so many awesome women! Celaena made my list too, she's one of the most kick ass heroines! You've also got some women I haven't met yet, and some I'm embarrassed I forgot to include.
    Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I forgot both Maddie, Verity, and Rose! All three of those ladies have tremendous courage and are such inspiring characters. This is a fantastic list.

    I also appreciate that you recognized Regine--she sounds like an amazing and courageous person. You're right--real life heroines are important!

    -@KatePoseyPhD at Bookish Illuminations

    ReplyDelete

Labels