Mundie Moms

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

GoodReads Interviews Cassandra Clare


Goodreads interviews Cassandra Clare! Check it out, a few weeks back Goodreads reached out to a few Cassie fans and asked them what they'd want to ask her. Well yesterday Goodreads posted their interview with Cassie, which she linked to here. Cassie talks about everything from City of Heavenly Fire, Magnus and more. Here is a teaser from their interview:

percabeth_4ever374: Cassandra, where did you come up with the idea of Shadowhunters and the whole complex idea of the Mortal Instruments world? Was it just one big inspiration or did lots of little things contribute to the making of the Shadowhunter world? Morg also wonders: What inspired you to write the Mortal Instruments series? Suzanne Collins said that she was flicking through the TV channels and morphed two shows together. What happened for you? 
It was a lot of smaller ideas that stacked up. One of my close friends was working in a tattoo parlor at the time, and being there gave me the idea for the rune system. I wanted to write something that would combine elements of traditional high fantasy—an epic battle between good and evil, terrible monsters, brave heroes, enchanted swords—and recast it through a modern, urban lens. So you have the Shadowhunters, who are these very classic warriors following their millennia-old traditions but in these urban, modern spaces: skyscrapers, warehouses, abandoned hotels, rock concerts. In fairy tales it was the dark and mysterious forest outside the town that held the magic and danger. I wanted to create a world where the city has become the forest—where these urban spaces hold their own enchantments, danger, mysteries, and strange beauty. 

Eliza: How do you come up with all the sarcastic comments that make the Herondale boys who they are? 
I am sarcastic, and some of my friends are sarcastic, so I'm well-equipped with a sarcasm incubation chamber. But then the characters themselves are also responsible. They each have their own senses of humor, and they come up with things that surprise me all the time!


People LOVE Magnus! We had a few different questions about him! Trevor O'reilly: What was the inspiration that led to the creation of Magnus Bane? He's an awesome character with his own attitude and eccentric personality that's always with him, no matter when or where he is.
Magnus came from multiple sources. Part of it was my desire to play with the idea of wizards and warlocks. We tend to think of them as Dumbledore types, very wise and old with long white beards. (In fact, sometimes people still say to me they picture Magnus as having a long scraggy beard, because he's a warlock!) So I was trying to get at the opposite of that. I wanted to create an ancient warlock mentor figure who was also a guy who threw parties, who wore glitter and leather pants, who hid his wisdom under a party-boy facade. I never expected him to grow so important, he'd have his own book, but I'm very glad he did. 

You can check out the full interview here. I highly recommend that you do. There are a lot more questions Cassie answers.



This is one of my fav pics of Cassie, and I was so excited to see it on Goodreads, as I took this of Cassie last year at the premiere for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels