Mundie Moms

Friday, February 1, 2013

Flashback Friday/Book Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


By: Kristin Simmons
Published by: Tor / MacMillan
Released on: 1/31/12
Source: purchase book
Series: Article 5 #1
5 stars: I Loved It!
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned. The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes. There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back. Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different. Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved. -quoted from Goodreads

An exciting, pulse pounding, addicting read!

Kristen's debut lives up to all it's hype. Article 5 has been on my TBR list since the end of 2011. That's how long it's taken me to FINALLY read this book! I know, why the heck did I wait so long right? I don't know who was more excited about (finally) reading it, me or the book. It took me long enough. The one good thing about waiting, getting to read Article 5 and Breaking Point back to back. Even though I've heard all the hype surrounding Kristen's debut, and I was excited to start reading it, I wasn't not excepting to be so caught up in everything that was going on, that I read this book in one sitting. No joke. Once I started reading this horrifying, adrenaline pumping, gut wrenching read, there was no stopping. This is one emotionally charged book.

These characters are awesome! I loved Ember. She's this quiet, unsuspecting hero who snuck up on me, and made me love her! She comes across of possibly being the underdog, but proved early one she's far from that. She's a quick thinker who sacrifices everything for those she loves, and what she believes in/stands for. She takes action. She keeps going when all seems lost, and doesn't give up on the possibility of love and hope. I adored her match up to Chase. Gah, how could I not love this guy! Ember is so perfect for him. I loved the way Kristen portrays him. Gone is the boy Ember grew up with, and replaced is a harden, strong, built, unmovable solider. At first I felt all the emotions Ember did towards him, but as the story line unravels and more of Chase's secrets come out, the more I started feeling what Ember felt towards him. In between the bitter sweet, emotionally raw, and sometimes heart breaking moments between these two, are those sweet moments that bring in that little ray of sunshine in a dark and dangerous world that all but tries to keep them apart. 

I admire the fact that Kristen stayed true to the feel of her storyline, her characters and their world through out the entire book. Let's be honest, this would be a horrifying scenario if it ever came true, and that feeling of horror, danger, and being on the run lasted the entire time I read this book. I wasn't prepared for the wide range of emotions to jump out at me like they did. From the anguish of betrayal, to losing a loved one, the defiance Ember felt, the heartbreak Chase  and Ember both dwelt with, the uncertainty, hope, love and everything else within this story felt real and relatable to me. It's what allowed me to connect with the story and it's characters on a level I wasn't excepting to. I credit that to Kristen and her writing. It was flawless and so awesome! That's the only way I know how to describe it.

This is one heck of an action packed story! There's plenty of danger, twists, and one flawed addicting romance that leaves me wanting so much more. I enjoyed the characters, loved the world building, and couldn't get enough of this story. Kristen Simmons has crafted together an unforgettable story that had my heart racing, stopping, breaking, and melting. I can not wait to read more of this series! I highly recommend picking this book up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels