Mundie Moms

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday: Hurricane Sandy Donations / KidLit Cares

*image from google*

It's been over a week now since the nation braced it's self for an unbelievable sight, in what some reported as a 1,000 wide Hurricane, Sandy hounded the east coast and left an unimaginable path of destruction behind. Claiming lives, thousands of homes and business, and effecting millions of lives not just nationally, but worldwide as well. Hurricane Sandy, the most destructive storm to ever hit the US (according to National Geopraphic) left her mark on more than just the US, as she caused destruction and claimed lives in the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Cuba and the Bahamas before moving to the US followed by Canada. 

Now like many of you who weren't in the direct path of this storm I sit here in my warm house feeling a little guilty, because I do have a roof over my head, and clothes and everything else I take for granted in home, while thousands of my fellow Americans no longer have these things. The ironic thing about that is I would gladly give many of these things I have to those who just lost everything, but have no way of doing so. While it's impossible for me to deliver goods like that, I did some research and have found places you can donate to online, and if you're in the area, locally. 

Places like The Red CrossSalvation ArmyMobile Cause, Shelter Box (I know there are many other places) are all taking donations. FEMA as well as Serve Gov have a lot of useful information about donations, local donation places, how you can volunteer and other info pertaining to helping those who are still trying to put their lives back together after Hurricane Sandy. According to the Huffington Post, if you're not in the NE and want to donate, these following online shops are donating part of their proceeds to helping Hurricane Sandy victims out: 

 "Of course, donations to The American Red Cross or the Salvation Army are valuable, but how about shopping for a cause? The holiday season is coming up, so get started on your holiday shoppingand know that part of the money you spend is going to those in need. E-tailers likeeBayStylebop and Penfield are donating percentages of their proceeds to The Red Cross"

If you're in the local area, you can find a list of Donation Centers for the NJ are here and NY  here. In all the research I did in trying to find places to donate to, I did find that blood donation was in high demand. Blood donation can be done locally as well as where you live at. You can visit the American Red Cross site, which is linked above to find donation places. As always, please be sure you look into any place you donate to, before you do a cash donation. Make sure they're a legit site/company, have a secure site, and that either 100% of the proceeds or at least 99% of the proceeds go to those in need. 


The amazing community of YA and Kidlit authors always seems to come together in time of crisis, and put together an amazing benefit to help the victims in need. We've seen it happen before with other destructive storms and flooding, and the amount they've always been able to raise is amazing! Kid lit author Kate Messener has put together Kit Lit Cares to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Be sure to go HERE to check out all this auction entails, and see how you can help donate to help aid in helping those effected about this storm. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughtful and informative post.
    Since the local link only covered NY needs and the NJ coast was decimated (our state bore the brunt of the storm and the coast I grew up knowing is gone),anyone who wants to help NJ as well can check the NJ Needs facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NewJerseyNeeds and the NJ Volunteer and Donation Needs spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmdYcWCQuSO7dE9HVjZqTDUyc0dhcmhxZk5lcWV0NFE&output=html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if any of your readers might be interested, but my hubs is a pastor in the United Methodist Church. I know some may say "I don't want to donate to any organization that is preaching anything", but I will say that 100% of what you donate goes directly to disaster relief- they don't use any of your money for office costs, advertising, etc. They aren't out passing out pamphlets or preaching- they are delivering baby formula, diapers, clean underthings, flood buckets (that have survival tools like batteries, tarps, etc) and food.

    I would never recommend something unless I agree with it 100% (especially if it originates in a church... I don't want to end up looking bad too lol)


    To learn more you can go here: http://www.umcor.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm in all that typing- I never specified what it was you were donating to ha ha ha- It is called UMCOR: United Methodist Committee on Relief

      Here is the Wiki for it too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMCOR

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Thank you Coranne for the info!

      Delete
  3. Thank you C. Issy- I just updated my post with your link! I didn't realize I only linked to NY. I'm so glad you caught that.

    ReplyDelete

Labels