Mundie Moms

Sunday, October 21, 2012

TMI Movie News: Cassie's Recent News and a TMI Movie FB Page Milestone



Cassie recently did an interview with RaceBending.com and addressed Diversity, the casting of Magnus, and much more. Here's part of what was posted in their interview with Cassie. You can read the entire interview HERE.




RACEBENDING.COM: How did you advocate as an author when most of the time authors are very powerless over movie casting or in the depictions of their characters in other media?

CASSANDRA CLARE: As a creator, you know going into working with filmmakers who are adapting your project that you are going to have a limited amount of power. There are some cases, I think, where the author has more power, but those instances are very rare. About the only choice you get to really make is who you sell your rights to.

....... You are correct that most of the time authors are powerless over movie casting. It is a terrifying feeling that the project that began as your brainchild is in the hands of others and you can only hope that they choose to allow you to have say. 

People think authors have power that they don’t. I just want to be clear that though I did insist Magnus be cast as an actor of Asian descent, another studio could have shut me out of the [casting] process entirely.

I was looking at old emails about casting and I found one of mine that just said this: “MAGNUS IS ASIAN. HE NEEDS TO BE PLAYED BY AN ASIAN ACTOR. PERIOD.” Early on, before any auditions or real discussions, names for Magnus were bandied around. When I saw some were white actors and I said, “Please don’t do this, and this is why,” they could have easily chosen to ignore me. I am lucky they didn’t.




RACEBENDING.COM: Did you also have to be adamant about the inclusion of the Alec and Magnus romance and their sexual orientations?

CASSANDRA CLARE: Yes, I got a lot of pushback about having gay characters in my books when my film agent was trying to sell the rights: “No one cares about your gay characters.” That’s the one I remember.

I asked before I sold the rights to Unique/Constantin if the gay relationship would be preserved and they said yes. I was adamant from the start that Magnus and Alec’s romance and sexual orientation remain. So adamant that I can’t say what would have happened if I hadn’t been!

About her covers: Cassie answered saying, 

"Authors generally don’t get any input over what’s on their book covers. I had no say over what appeared on the covers of my first series of books. For later books, I was able to get cover consultation written into my contract. “Consultation” still isn’t “approval” — but Simon and Schuster has been good about listening to my opinion.

Magnus hasn’t appeared on the covers of the Mortal Instruments — the publisher has been very insistent that the main protagonists, and only them, appear on the covers — though I am always hopeful for a repackage or special edition that would allow for a Magnus cover.

As for Jem, I insisted from the start with Infernal Devices that each cover would feature one of the three main characters — Jem, Will, and Tessa. When the time came to do the cover of Clockwork Prince, I said I only wanted to see Asian models for the boy on the cover. I was only sent sheets of Asian models, and I picked one who was LA-based because that’s close to where Cliff, the cover artist, works. Didn’t hurt that he was also really gorgeous. I thought he would make a perfect Jem."

Yes, I hope Magnus gets featured on a cover soon too. I HIGHLY recommend you read the entire interview HERE. There's a lot more than just the movie, and movie covers that gets discussed. I think this is one of the best interviews I've read of Cassie's in awhile. (photo credit and interview content is credit to RaceBending.com).


Cassie posted another hands picture this past week. Check out Hodges (Jared Harris) and Cassie's hands. I'm so excited to see the scenes with Hodges. You can see Cassie's post about this pic. HERE.


In other exciting news, the TMI Movie Facebook page hit over 100,000 fans!!! Don't miss out on LIKING this page HERE


Also in other TMI Movie FB page news, there are now International facebook fan page sites. Check out the links: Canada / France / Germany / Mexico / Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels