Mundie Moms

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Book Review: A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies


Published by: Harper Teen
Released on: September 25th, 2012
Source: ARC from publisher to review
4 stars: I Enjoyed It!


When she wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, Skye knows something terrible has happened to her. It's not until she hears Asher, the dark, rebellious angel she fell in love with, that the memories come flooding back. She tries to put the past behind her, but she knows she'll be forever haunted by the ruthless betrayal that almost took her life.

Skye returns home, but with the knowledge of who she really is, nothing can ever be the same. As she tests the limits of her newfound powers, Skye discovers that she's capable of far more than anyone could have imagined. Both the Order and the Rebellion want her for their side as war between the factions looms. She can't forget the terrifying truth she now knows about the Order, but something holds her back from embracing the Rebellion.

"A Fractured Light" picks up right after "A Beautiful Dark"'s shocking cliffhanger ending and is perfect for fans of Lauren Kate's "Fallen" and Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush saga -quoted from Goodreads

An awesome sequel with a killer ending! Picking up right where A Beautiful Dark left off, A Fractured Light takes readers right back into Skye's world. I really enjoyed A Beautiful Dark, and I've been anxiously awaiting to pick up A Fractured Light to find out what happens. While I started off enjoying this book, I did have some back and forth feelings with this book while I read it. I started off really enjoying, and then somewhere during the middle of the book I feel to feeling like it was a good read. I don't know what changed for me. The writing was great, but there just something I felt was lacking a little bit. I think it fell into the "middle book" syndrome, but then towards the end some things happened, like a "holy crap, did he just do that, I didn't see that one coming" twist that got me all excited about this book again. Seriously, that ending was fabulous!

I really enjoyed getting to learn more about the Rebellion and the Guardians, as well as what Skye really is, what her powers can really do (though I think there's still a little bit more we'll learn about in the next book). I liked the surprise twists that come toward the end of the book in regards to what a few of the characters do, and the surprising revelation with one of them. I will say Jocelyn wrote that character perfectly, because I went back and forth on wondering if there was more to them than we get to read about, and I loved their reveal. Along with that, I also enjoyed getting to meet a new character, and finding out more of the back story between them and one of the other characters from book 1. I thought the direction that each of the characters grew in was very fitting for the storyline.

The romance..... I enjoyed it! I liked the direction that Skye and Asher's relationship goes in. I liked being able to see and understand that though Skye is still has a tiny soft spot for Devin, I knew that her feelings really lied with Asher and there was never really any competition as to who she was with and who she really loves. But, there's understandably some feelings she still has and her motives for wanting to keep Devin in her life made sense, especially after what he did to her and what she finds out about herself. Can I just say, WOW to what happens towards and at the end of this book! Seriously, there were some shocking twists that I didn't even see coming. Some of these characters actions totally surprised me. Can I have book three now please? 

If you were a fan of A Beautiful Dark, just wait till you read about all that happens in this book. I can hardly wait to read the final installment in this series, I have a feeling it's going to be incredible! I'd definitely recommend picking this book up. 

3 comments:

  1. Get the Best Online Bus Tickets Reservation Services with Ticketgoose. Your Online Bus Tickets
    Booking is just a click away!
    Shama Travels|Kaleswari Travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't impressed with the first book in the series but I might give this sequel a go. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I wasn't going to start this series, but hearing that this book is a big improvement on the first makes me think perhaps I should pick it up! Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the review! :)

    Irene(Seward Alaska Fishing)

    ReplyDelete

Labels