Mundie Moms

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book Review: Rift by Andrea Cremer (spoiler free)


Published by: Philomel Books
To Be Released on: August 7th, 2012
Source: ARC from publisher to review
5 stars: I LOVED It! 

Chronicling the rise of the Keepers, this is the stunning prequel to Andrea Cremer's internationally bestselling Nightshade trilogy!

Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.

With action, adventure, magic, and tantalizing sensuality, this book is as fast-paced and breathtaking as the Nightshade novels -quoted from Goodreads

With her beautifully crafted historical setting, delicious dark plot, and sensual romance, Andrea Cremer once again provides her fans with a storyline that they'll want more of once they finish this book. 5 stars don't even do this book justice. I seriously LOVED everything Andrea gave me in RIFT and I want more!!

Andrea Cremer become one of my favorite YA paranormal authors with her Nightshade series, but she upped everything I loved about her writing in RIFT. Her talent for weaving together my favorite elements, and creating a story that's both authentic and addicting has my wishing the sequel to RIFT was already in my hands! Would it be wrong to say I'm in love with Andrea Cremer's writing? Honestly, I am. I love it when I sit down to read a book, and not only do the characters come alive, but the setting does as well. That's exactly what happened when I read RIFT. The setting felt like a character to me. It's complex, beautiful, and plays such a huge role in this book. It sets the perfect tone for Ember's story, as does the believable history and rich culture.

Oh Ember. I loved this girl from page one! She's a girl after my own heart, as she's a nobleman's daughter, and yet she would rather spend her days sword fighting and being outdoors, than inside spinning. I totally got her yearning for adventure, to accompany the boys on their quests, and being out doors. I admired her for wanting to push the envelope a bit. She's not a girly girl who can't defend herself, and yet because of her birthright, she's forced to act and behave a certain way. Well, her time period also restricts what women do, but Ember isn't a girl to sit back and do all that she's told to do. She finds ways around the things she's expected to do, and I loved her for that! She thinks for herself. She's also a character who stands out amongst the well written heroines I've read about this year, and has found a spot with other favorite protagonists.

Knights, Nobleman, Lords, and plenty of action await readers in this story. Let me just say, Andrea provides plenty of hot boys with swords, and heroes in this story to match Ember's yearning for independence and her sassy nature. Oh how I loved the character chemistry and slow burning romance in this story! While there's not a love triangle, there is a fabulous love story/romance that takes place. Alistair, the loyal best friend who wants more than just friendship, and the swoon-worthy Knight, Barrow Hess are two men who are well suited for the job of fighting for Ember's heart. One of the things I loved about the relationships between these three, is how evident Ember's feelings are towards both men in the story. I LOVED what transpires between Barrow and Ember. I could quite possibly write an entire post about the romance that transpires in this story, but I'll save that one for another day.

RIFT is a story that's rich in historical lore, and culture. It's a story that introduces readers to in-depth characters that develop perfectly as the story continues to unravel. In true Andrea fashion, she gives her readers just enough twists, action, secrets, and romance to keep you reading more. She doesn't give you everything at once, but with a pace that keeps you engaged and yearning for more, you find yourself unable to put this book down. With an epic battle, well written action scenes, a good vs evil theme, characters you want to read more about, and a romance that will leave you yearning for so much more, RIFT is a book you want to pick up!

For those worried about how this prequel will fit in with the Nightshade series, you can put your fears aside. This book stands out all by itself, while at the same time compliments the series beautifully. You guys know how much I love the Nightshade series, and I can honestly say I love this book even more! I feel it's Andrea's best book yet and I HIGHLY recommend picking it up!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I have to say I was worried, but now I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I love prequels, but it takes a certain type of writing for me to love the prequels as much or more than the original series. Andrea, like Cassandra Clare with her Infernal Devices series, has done a fabulous job at creating a series that can stand on it's own, as well as compliments the existing series perfectly.

      Delete
  2. Knights, Nobleman, and Lords? I'm sold! I can't wait for this!!! And it's Mundie Moms approved :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that this one is so awesome, especially for a prequel. I've only read the first book in the series so far, but loved it and can't wait to read all the others!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Nightshade, but I love this prequel more, which is funny, because I'm normally not a huge fan of prequels outside of the Infernal Devices series. Andrea did a fabulous job with this book!

      Delete
  4. I already wanted to read this. Now you've got me dying to read it. Thanks for the very great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Natalie! Thank you kindly for your comments!! I can't wait for you to read it. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Rift sounds excellent. I will admit that I was not a fan of Wolfsbane and gave up on Nightshade after that, but I am thinking I need to pick up Rift because I just love historical lore and the kickass ladies.

    Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April!! One of the things I love about this series, is that you can read it without having read the Nightshade series. It's a great companion series, but it's a great stand alone as well. I hope you enjoy it!!

      Delete
  6. i agree andrea creamer is the best author in the world i loved the wolves the romance and skill in the nightshade series now this ahh cant wait

    ReplyDelete

Labels