Mundie Moms

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Book Review: Black Heart by Holly Black


By: Holly Black
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry
Released on: April 3rd, 2012 TODAY
Source: ARC from ALA midwinter
5 stars: I LOVE this series
Purchase from: Simon & Schuster | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Cassel Sharpe knows he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy.

But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob, and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong becomes increasingly blurred. When the Feds ask Cassel to do the one thing he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet—this time on love -quoted from Goodreads

Oh Curse Workers, why does this series have to end!?! I was honestly hesitant about reading Black Heart, because I didn't want this series to end. Okay and maybe I was a bit scared about reading what might happen to Cassel and the rest of the characters from this series. We all know that Holly's not scared to torture her characters. One of the things I have enjoyed about this series, and I might be demented to admit this, is the idea of people have an ability and being able to do something with just one touch of their hand. Holly has a talent for creating something that comes to life, and for me while reading this series, this ability felt realistic. Getting to see the "mob" side of things with the Curse Workers series has been extremely interesting to say the least and, surprisingly it wasn't hard for me fall in love with so many of the series's flawed characters. 

Holly Black has created a series with lively characters who all surprisingly found a place in my heart over the course of this series. I love that they're all flawed in more ways than one, but my favorite character from this series has always been Cassel Sharpe. Through out the entire series we've seen the heartbreak, the torment, the turmoil and the inner battle to rise above the mob life Cassel's dwelt with. This poor guy can't seem to catch a break. If you're met his mother, his brothers, grandfather and the rest of the characters in this story you'll know what I'm talking about. Though each of these characters also adds so much richness to already enticing plot line. No matter how far he tries to stay clear of his family's path of crime, their ties to the Curse Workers mob, or how good Cassel tries to be, he always finds himself back on the "other side" of the law. For me, that's one of the things that made me love him even more. 

Cassel is one of those characters who's incredibly smart, he's charming, has this snarkiness about him that I love. He's a character who made me root for him from the beginning, and kept me cheering for him through out the series. He's a character who's grown a lot over the course of the series. I admire the fact he's someone who's showed courage and gained a tremendous amount of confidence with the end of Black Heart. While there were times I might have cringed over some of his decision making, I did have some proud "Mundie Mama" moments for him while reading Black Heart. This story wrapped up the series in the most fitting Curse Worker way possible. That's all I'm going to say about the story so that I don't spoil it for anyone. If you enjoyed the first two books in this series, wait till you read Black Heart. 

Holly's writing, her characters and her richly detailed plot line, along with each character's back story added so much to the over all series. She hooked me from the get go. I wanted to know more about Cassel, his mother, his father, his other family members and his friends. I love that when an author has the ability to make her supporting characters just as intriguing and strong as their main character. This series is a fabulous one! There's romance, family dynamics, plenty of suspense, a touch of magic, danger and a whole lot more. Though I'm sad to see this series come to an end, Holly Black has created a series that will remain at the top of my favorites list. I highly recommend picking this one up TODAY!

6 comments:

  1. I love this series so much and I can't wait for this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This book is such a fabulous addition to this series.

      Delete
  2. I may have smiled over "Mundie Mama" moments. Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you! You know I used that phrase was just for you ;)

      Delete
  3. I read the first book but then stopped.. But seing you so excited about this last one I might have to pick it up again ... I love and adore the new covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do pick this series up! I hope you enjoy the rest of the books. :)

      Delete

Labels