Mundie Moms

Friday, March 30, 2012

TMI Movie Stuff


Cassie posted a response on tumblr earlier today regarding a question she received about the TMI movie and recent movie news. Here's what was asked & what her answer was:
look-what-youvedone asked you:
“I heard they were starting filming for The city of bones. As in your book! And lily collins was going to play Clary. Is this true? I really hope so!”
I think that half of the questions in my inbox (the ones not about sex) are about “the movie.” So I will tell you what I know and if you sent me an ask about the movie hopefully this will be a useful answer.
Basically everything I know about the movie is right here. If it isn’t there, I either don’t know it or am not allowed to say it because it’s speculation or the details aren’t nailed down or whatever. I am honestly not the greatest source for movie news. Last night Deadline reported that Sony Pictures is the frontrunner to distribute the City of Bones movie (distribute means to actually get the film into theaters) and that was the first I heard about that. I knew there were a number of studios interested but that’s all I knew. In fact, I don’t even know if the Sony thing is true though Deadline is fairly reliable. While securing the right distributor for a film is super important, it is not the sort of thing that anyone consults the author on (and why would they — I don’t know anything about film distribution.)
I try not to report things or stick them on my website unless I am 100% sure they’re true. That is not to say that things can’t change as regards the movie because things can always change. Lily and Jamie are still set to star (and I would be sad to lose either one of them, they are perfect for the roles AFAIC), the shoot date is still set for August 15 in Toronto. The film is floating around somewhere between development and pre-production. They are not yet filming it. 
Until they do start filming, anything and everything could change.
You’ll know when they do start filming because 1) IMDB will have the film listed as “in production” (which is when they lock down the page and stop letting anyone edit it, until then, I think, the pages are run by rabid squirrels or something) and 2) there will be a release date. A release date is generally the last thing a film gets before the green light to go ahead. So look out for those things, and until then, any news I have is on my website.
* Several people have asked me if the film “has been cancelled.” (Which is odd, as things have been looking better for the possibility of a Mortal Instruments movie in the past few weeks/months than they ever did before!) Films don’t get cancelled. Sometimes they get put into turnaround. Sometimes they are moved from one studio to another. Sometimes the option rights expire and the production company doesn’t renew them. They don’t “get cancelled.” If you run across some article saying a film has been cancelled, then the article has been written by someone who doesn’t know anything about movies. Ignore it. 
And now back to your regularly scheduled silliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels