Mundie Moms

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Wrinkle in Time: 50 Years, 50 Days, 50 Blogs Celebration


I am thrilled to be apart of this week's A Wrinkle In Time: 50 Years, 50 Days, 50 Blogs Celebration tour.

For me when I think of "a classic childhood book", I think of books that made an impact on me as a young reader, and I'm just talking about books that were popular at the time like the Baby Sitter's Club, Sweet Valley High or the Choose Your Own Adventure books, all of which I loved. I think of books that made an impact on me like Charlotte's Web, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, The Little Prince, and many more. I think it takes a curtain kind of author to create a story that's not just popular when the book is first published, but it becomes a book that's love and cherished for generations after that, which all of these book are. I think A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle is also one of those books.

First published in 1962, this book 50 years later is still a beloved classic for so many of us. I still remember the first I read this book and the impact it left on me. When I was growing up we didn't have YA or Middle Grade sections, which makes me sound really old. We had a library that had everything from the books I've listed above to Stephen King and more. Aside from The Chronicles of Narnia, this was one of my first books I read and loved that had that epic battle of good vs evil. I love that years later it's still making an impact of readers world wide. This year marks the 50th year of it's publication! What an awesome achievement to celebrate. With that, I highly recommend picking up the newly released 50th Anniversary Commemorative edition (shown below) by MacMillan. This edition includes:

* A letter from the 1963 Caldecott winner, Ezra Jack Keats
* An introduction by Katherine Paterson, US National Ambassador for Young People's Literature
* A new afterword by Madeleine L'Engle's granddaughter, with some never before seen photos.
* A Murry-O'Keefe Family Tree complete with artwork
* Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry acceptance speech
* Fronispiece photo
* Photo scrapbook with approximately 10 photos
* Manuscript pages



Purchase the 50th Anniversary edition of A Wrinkle in Time from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

How did A Wrinkle in Time impact you as a young reader?

11 comments:

  1. One of my childhood favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too! I need to go pick up this new edition. I love all the things they added to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story that got me interested in sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't be the person (or the writer) I am today without L'Engle's influence! Definitely gonna have to check out tje new edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing how many people she influenced. The new edition is a must have.

      Delete
  5. What a book!! I have wildly vivid memories of reading the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book! A couple of years ago, my older daughter bought it for my younger daughter for Christmas, and I thought it was such a special gift.

    Madeleine L'Engle was the Writer in Residence for Victoria magazine back in the nineties, and I loved reading her articles. What a treasure she was!

    Thanks for posting this because I had no idea about the special 50th anniversary edition. I will definitely get it for our home library!

    xoxoxoox,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! YES, it's definitely a must have!! I'm thrilled to have added to mine.

      Delete
  7. I remember reading this book in middle school and loving it. I've mentioned it to other people and they don't remember it at all. How is that possible! I remember it being popular back then. I think it definitely deserves for me to re-read it. It's 50th anniversary seems appropiate time to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen- I agree, the 50th anniversary is a great time to re-read it. I'm definitely re-reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Labels