Mundie Moms

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Book Review: Smokeless Fire by Samantha Young


Published by: Createspace
Released on: October 21st, 2011
Source: from the author to review
4 stars: I Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon

Fear the Heat...

For the last two years Ari’s life has been anything but normal and on her 18th birthday, when her friends surprise her with a gimmick genie claiming to grant wishes, Ari discovers the truth. The tragic and strange occurrences surrounding her 16th birthday were not coincidental and her life is never going to be the same again. Ari’s real parents are not normal. They are not loving. They are not human.

They are myth.

They are Smokeless Fire.

They are Jinn. -quoted from Goodreads

I've been a huge fan of Samantha's since I read and fell in love with her Lunamorte series and since then her writing continues to captivate me. I thoroughly enjoyed the world and chacracters she introduces me to in her newest release, Smokeless Fire. This is the first in the Fire Spirits series, who's rich Jinn mythology I found to be both fascinating and refreshing. There's not a lot of YA books out there that dive into the world of Jinn, and Samantha's story was completely intriguing. Her characters are unique, and were so easy to like, and the history behind the 7 brothers was engaging. I loved the history of Smokeless Fire's mythology, and the way in which it's told. Like Ari, I wanted to read more of it.

I also enjoyed the chemistry between the main character Ari and Jai. It was so fabulously written! Samantha not only toys with their emotions, but she leaves me wanting more from these two. Ari's a great character. She's someone who through out the course of the story finds out what she is, learns more about her father and discovers she has an incredibly amazing power. She of course also learns her family line is quite impressive. Jai, the fabulous love interest is also her Jinn body guard. The sarcasm that goes on between these two is hilarious. I swear these two are made to be together, but there's so much going on around them that they wouldn't be able to blur the lines without consequences. I have course don't care about those consequences and want to see them together. Okay, I do care, but still.

No romance is complete without some competition, and luckily this competition is not one I'm impressed with. Ari ticked me off so many times with her fascination with Charlie. I get she's cared about him, and loved him for years, but I swear he's using her and the stuff he does ticks me off to no end. I really wish she would just let Jai have his way with him, although the book ends with a scene that makes me wonder what's going to happen between the three of them in book 2. There are so many great little things added to this story's plot line that makes it so captivating. Samantha reveals just enough of the plot line that kept me hooked, but didn't overly reveal all that's going on. I think this is a great first book in what I think will be a fascinating series. I'd recommend picking this up.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love great chemistry between characters!! I haven't read anything by Samantha but this one has been catching my eye. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I really like her Lunarmorte series. I'd definitely recommend picking up her books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Smokeless Fire, too. I'm so glad there is a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lecea- Me too! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Labels