Mundie Moms

Friday, September 16, 2011

Review - Witch Eyes

Written by: Scott Tracey
Published by: Flux
Release Date: September 8, 2011
Source: Bought.
Purchase from: Barnes and Noble | IndieBound | amazon
5 stars - Bewitching and delightful. A must read.

Synopsis: A boy who can see the world’s secrets and unravel spells with just a glance.

Braden’s witch eyes give him an enormous power. A mere look causes a kaleidoscopic explosion of emotions, memories, darkness, and magic. But this rare gift is also his biggest curse.

Compelled to learn about his shadowed past and the family he never knew, Braden is drawn to the city of Belle Dam, where he is soon caught between two feuding witch dynasties. Sworn rivals Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe will use anything—lies, manipulation, illusion, and even murder—to seize control of Braden’s powers. To stop an ancient evil from destroying the town, Braden must master his gift, even through the shocking discovery that Jason is his father. While his feelings for an enigmatic boy named Trey grow deeper, Braden realizes a terrible truth: Trey is Catherine Lansing’s son . . . and Braden may be destined to kill him.

One of my favorite tropes involves the use of a mysterious town. Seriously, who doesn’t love a town where there are two feuding families and secrets from long ago? Well, Scott Tracey drops his talented, sweet and yet sure of himself protagonist in just such a town and oh, Mundie Moms, does the plot thicken.

First, let me tell you about Braden. I can’t do this without pointing out that I kinda want to adopt him. What?!? I know, I’m a mom and it seems natural for me to love a character who is confident, curious, smart and yet, hurting. Braden’s magical gift comes at a price and those of you who know me, know that I love balance in my magic systems. Ah, the cost of magic. Imagine having to wear sunglasses all the time and suffer debilitating headaches? You know the kind that make you pass out?  No wonder I wanted to help him from the very moment I turned the first few pages.

As I read on, I discovered that he’s part of a complex world and that he’s inexplicably tied to the bizarre city of Belle Dam. A quiet little town. Except for a feud, where Braden’s father is firmly on one side and Braden’s new best friend just happens to be on the other. Oh, and let’s talk about that adorable boy, Trey. Yeah, Trey. Mundie Moms, there is the sweetest romance tucked in as a subplot to this action packed story. But oh wow, is the romance adorable. Braden and Trey easily make it into my Top Ten Favorite Couples list. Most of you can accurately tick off my Top Ten Couples (hint: they’re probably the same as yours), so think about it, I'm saying that Braden and Trey definitely deserve to be there with the rest. Yes, that good.

I promise to not spoil anything for you. But, as Braden unlocks (literally) the secrets of the town, he discovers that he’s part of a much bigger picture. All I have to add is – hang on tight, because the pacing, action and plot reveals in the last half of the book are UNBELIEVABLE. I’m still thinking about them and that’s the best sign of a good story.

When you’re in the bookstore this weekend, be sure to pick up Witch Eyes and read a few pages. Once you meet the sarcastic, brave and determined Braden, you won’t be able to put the book down. I only know this, because I couldn’t until I reached the very last page.

5 comments:

  1. Super review. I will definitely send a link to my daughter! I think I will buy it when I know I have nothing to do because if it is as good as you say, I will get nothing done!!! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous review Sophie!! Next time I'm at the book store I'm definitely picking this up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricki - I loved how Scott executed the plot and reveals. And the two boys were so perfect for each other.

    MMs - Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got this not too long ago. I'm excited to read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Labels