Mundie Moms

Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Review: Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)

Published by: Razorbill
To Be Released on: August 23rd, 2011
Source: Book received from publisher to receive
4 stars- I Really Enjoyed It
Purchase From: Amazon| Barnes & Noble

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

Let me start off by saying I've only read the first book in the Vampire Academy, and I'm planning on reading the rest even though I've heard from a few friends what happens through out the series. Having said that, I really enjoyed Bloodlines, and I didn't feel lost with the storyline at all. This is a great spin off for a beloved Vampire series, as many of the same characters are back and yes there's even appearances by Rose and Dimitri. Bloodlines isn't about them, this story focuses on Sydney.

There's a lot of things I enjoyed with Bloodlines. I like how Richelle keeps me guessing with her characters. I learned in VA that you can't trust every character you meet and she stays true to that in Bloodlines. There's some wonderful twists and that air of mystery with the characters and the storyline that kept me hooked till the very end. I also liked how some of the main characters, Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Keith, someone I couldn't stand and for good reason, are all enrolled in a school and have to act like brothers and sisters. This of course allows them to protect Jill. I don't know how they're able to pull it off, because there's some great chemistry between a few of them that has me wondering who's going to be hooking up as the series continues.

Jill herself is a character I really enjoyed getting to know. She's feisty, strong willed and despite having an entourage of characters who are there to protect her, she's someone who can take care of herself. Sydney, the story's main character, has this steely determination that I really admired about her, especially in the beginning of the book. Can I just say that I have no respect for her father after the opening scene. Luckily when she's away from her father, Sydney becomes more courageous, and she's incredibly smart and so sarcastic! She can definitely dish out the one liners and the chemistry between her and Adrian is fabulous! The two of them made me laugh out loud more than a few times. I'm curious to see what happens between them in the next book. Adrian himself is someone I also enjoyed getting to know more. He's still dealing with the things that happened in Vampire Academy, but I think he's a character who's going to make a lot of changes as this series goes on.

I really think Vampire Academy fans will enjoy this spinoff. Bloodlines has a whole new story line, fantastic character chemistry, and the ending is UGH, so good! Seriously. Fans are really going to enjoy it and what ever you do, do not skip to the last page! That last line is one fans will love reading. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this series. After reading Bloodlines, I really want to go and finish reading the rest of the Vampire Academy series. I highly recommend picking this book up.

Visit the Bloodlines website for more information about the series.

18 comments:

  1. Since Bloodlines is coming out next week, I've finally decided to read the last two VA books this week. I'm super excited she's starting another serious with these characters. I love her writing/world so much. I'm super excited Adrian is back. I *love* him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the entire VA series so far and I just love them! I can't wait to read Bloodlines, it sounds fantastic! I'm anxious to know what happens between Sydney and Adrian... Great Review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan- Adrian is fantastic in this book. I think you'll love enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia- Thank you. Adrian and Sydney have some great chemistry. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, you've convinced me. I'm going to have to get this one! I did love VA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need this book. Like, right now.<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My God!
    Adrian!!!
    *faints

    lol
    And eh, do you know how much I envy you right now? ;D
    I had a smile on my face the whole time I read your incredible review!
    Oh, you haven't read the whole VA series?
    Well, you should! haha It's one of the best vampire series out there. Richelle Mead does a wonderful job writing and distinguishing her characters.
    And I missed Adrian since in the Last Sacrifice we were left guessing what happened to him- That's one of the reasons I'm not a full out "Rose-Fan" lol But I still enjoy reading about her adventures.
    Any who, I cannot wait until a few more days for the Bloodlines to come out already!
    Thanks so much for the review! I was worried Adrian wouldn't be in the spin-off. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather- Yes, you have to go pick this up!

    Angee1011- If you loved the VA you'll love it.

    Cindy- Aw, thank you so much! You'll love Adrian in Bloodlines. He was one of my favorite characters. The poor guy is so broken over what happened in the VA series. His chemistry with Sydney and some of his scenes are great. I'm anxious to see what you think of the last line in Bloodlines. You'll have to let me know what you think about it after you read it. It's GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can’t wait for more Adrian! :) 3 days more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have read VA atleast 3 times and cant get enough of her writing so excited will be waiting for them to put the book on the shelf on tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm an obsessed fan of VA and I can't wait to get my copy of Bloodlines in the mail! Great review by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenna- Adrian won me over in Bloodlines. I can't wait for you to read about him.

    Rose- I'm definitely picking up the rest of the VA series after reading BL. I really liked her writing in this book.

    Little-Dhampir91- Thank you so much and I hope you enjoy BL as much as you've enjoyed the VA series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely! Just in two days and I'll have my hands on Bloodlines!
    I don't even think I'll be able to sleep on Monday night. lol
    I think this is going to be one of those rare occasions where I finish a book in one day.
    I usually take my time reading since I don't like to rush- I like "savoring" every detail. haha
    But with your review I cannot wait to read the LAST line! (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cindy- Thank you and I really hope you enjoy it! It's a book I read in one sitting. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Vampire Academy series, cannot wait until tomorrow when it's released!!!

    yesss you must continue to read the first VA series !!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alexis- This is definitely a must read! I hope you enjoy it! I'll definitely continue reading the VA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with your review completely. Though I missed Rose I was really excited to get to know more of the characters in Bloodlines. I was not disappointed. Yeah the last line was great and left me wanting more. I can't wait for the Golden Lily but obviously I will.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nicole- Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it as well. That last line was fabulous! I can't wait for the Golden Lily to be released!

    ReplyDelete

Labels