Mundie Moms

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Book Review- Possession

Published by Simon & Schuster
Released on June 7th, 2011
Source- ARC from publisher for review
5 stars- I loved every moment of it

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even thinkabout kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

This is one of those debut books that is not only captivating, but it is full of WOW moments. It's a book about choices, and freedom to think. It's full of characters I fell in love with and a world so realistic, it's a bit scary to think about being in. Possession is an amazing debut that will take readers into a unique world and introduce you to some amazing characters. This is one book I could not put down and it had me thinking about it long after I finished it.

I adored Violet, the story's strong, snarky, independent thinking heroine. In a world controlled by the Thinkers and technology, she's someone who thinks for herself, and because of that is deemed a baddie. Not that I blamed her for breaking so many rules. I wouldn't want to live in a brainwashed community either. Torn between the baddie Jag, and the goodie Zenn, Violet discovers she's a key player in plot full of twists and deception.

I thought Elana did a great job with her love triangle between Jag, Violet and Zenn. It's one that really fit well with the story and made a lot of sense. I'd elaborate more, but than I'd be spoiling it. As side from Violet, my other favorite character is Jag. There's a lot to his character and I loved getting to know him, and watch the romance between he and Violet grow.

Much of the story is centered on Jag and Violet's escape to get to the Badlands and then on to the Seashore to seek freedom. Both characters have a lot in common. They're broken, strong, independent and find a source of inner strength in each other. They are also wanted by the director for their special abilities, so he can use them to help control the people. Had I been in their shoes, I would have ran too, who wants to help a corrupt director brain wash people. Their journey on the run is full of deception, action, near death experiences and mixed with a bit of romance. I loved every moment of it.

This is one dystopian debut I couldn't get enough of. I was literally glued to the pages, and I feared if I put the book down I might miss something. This is a clean cut, fabulously addicting book with a killer ending! I'm eagerly awaiting to find out what happens next for Violet, Jag and Zenn. I highly recommend picking this book up today.

6 comments:

  1. Wow this one sounds like a great read! I love the idea of the Thinkers and how they want Violet to become one of them. Sounds like a creepy and controlling society, and I definitely wouldn't want to live there! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree with you! I loved Elana's writing. It was addicting! The ending is definitely something that will keep readers on the edge of their seats. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I so agree. I loved how Elana nailed Vi's voice. I shared it with my 13 year old daughter who had never heard of the book and she couldn't put it down and wouldn't give it back till she finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T.B.- Thank you! It's an addicting read and one I enjoyed every moment of. I highly recommend picking it up.

    Precious- Thank you. Elana's writing is amazing. I agree, it's very addicting.
    Oh man, the ending. I wish the next book was being released soon. I can't wait another year.

    Natalie- Thank you. Vi has an amazing voice. I love that your 13 yrs old couldn't stop reading it. It's a great book for teens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heard a lot of great things about this one. Definitely have to give this one a read. I can not get enough Dystopian! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'll definitely be putting this one on my to-read list! it sounds like a good filler until the Divergent series continues!! this book sounds amazing. and i basically think i'm already in love with Jag...
    dear prudence

    ReplyDelete

Labels