Mundie Moms

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday- Help Write Now

We've all been moved, touched or some how effected by the recent record breaking tornado outbreak that came barreling through the South last week. It's been confirmed that 178 tornados touched down in one day, killing over 300, displacing thousands and virtually wiping towns off the map. There's been record flooding, and horrific fires that have also taken lives, livelihoods and everything families have owned.

I don't know about you guys, but as I sit in my home, surrounded by my family and personal things, I can't help but think what can I do to help those who have lost loved ones, their home and everything they own. I want to help! I can not imagine what it's like to experience this in person. I can't even look at the pictures without getting all emotional over it, knowing the pictures aren't even showing what it's really like for those who are left to pick up the pieces. There are many charities you can donate to, like The Red Cross, who are there helping communities and the people who's lives have forever been changed by this horrible natural disasters. Like with the TN floods last year when a few fabulous authors got together and created "Do The Write Thing For Nashville", there's a group of fabulous authors who got together to create "HELP WRITE NOW". The founders behind this awesome cause have also personally been effected by these natural disasters.

Help Write Now is a writing community auction to benefit southern storm relief. If you took part in Do The Write Thing for Nashville, you'll notice some of the same authors are helping out again and the auction is run similarly. It's SO easy to not only bid on books, signed books from authors, writing critiques & more, but you can also DONATE items to the auction!

Be here to visit Help Write Now to bid, learn about who they're helping, or to donate to this awesome cause. You can also follow them on twitter. Go here to donate directly to the charities who are helping, like The Red Cross, the Salvation Army, Corporation for National & Community Service & AmeriCares. You can also "Text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10". I see the pictures, but I can't imagine what it's like to be living this in person. Having your whole neighborhood gone, your home, family, friends, everything. Every little thing is needed, shoes, shelter, clothes, food, daily necessities etc. Every little bit donated counts.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! The compassion being shown to these victims is overwhelming. I live in Chattanooga, TN and the tornadoes that destroyed both Ringgold, GA and Apison, TN are only a few miles from my house. In addition, by family lives in Birmingham, AL and my in-laws live in Cullman, AL which was also ripped apart. The devistation is heartbreaking, but the out pour and dedication of the community is truly inspiring. We were lucky, we are only dealing with hail damage to our car and everytime we get frustrated about filing the claim I just think how this is an easy fix. A few dents is NOTHING to losing your home and family. So thank you to everyone who is helping, I can attest to the fact that it is making a difference because I can SEE it in front of me right down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwyatt- You are so welcome! I'm glad Myra McEntire posted about it. I didn't know it was going on until I stopped by her site last night. I hope everyone in your family was safe from the Tornados. I can't even imagine seeing the destruction from them in person. It's amazing how people from all over the places can come together and help those who need it. I'm glad you're safe from the storms and thank you so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting about us! We'd love to have the Mundie Moms community in the mix-- we'll have some big YA titles coming up for auction in the next few days and we're hoping to get a few more. We appreciate you spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete

Labels