Mundie Moms

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!


Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful Mothers and Women who are an amazing influence on our kids and the children around them. We hope you all have a fabulous day!

Of course we can't have a Mother's Day post with out a little MM twist to it. Today Sophie and I have put together a list of characters we'd like to adopt/Mother. There's so many fabulously written broken characters in YA books that we can't help but want to reach out to, like Jace & Simon from the TMI series, Will, Jem & Tessa from the ID series, Nick & Allen from the Demon's Covenant series, Cassel from the Curse Workers Series, Cabel & Janie from the Wake series and let's not forget about Prince Ash from the Iron Fey series. There's many more characters which is why we created two different lists of Favorite Broken Characters we'd like to adopt.

Sophie's Top 5 Fictional Boys I'd Adopt in a Heartbeat
Recently, I kept thinking about the number of broken boys in particular that are in some of my favorite stories and I couldn't help thinking that if I could somehow adopt them, their lives would turn out differently. I mean, it is Mother's Day and all so work with me, MMs, on what is, yes, pure fictional thinking.

5) Bennett (from Lee Nichols' Deception/Betrayal): I know, he's 19 but hey, he's still young and impressionable and let's face it, the choice he made in Betrayal (the one that caused me to go "OMGOMGOMG, NO WAY....") will have consequences. He will need a mother's advice and well, I freely give that every day to my kids so why not to him as well.

4) Ethan (from Kami Garcia's and Margaret Stohl's Beautiful Creatures/Beautiful Darkness): Granted he has Amma, and I love her. But, he needs a mom to talk to and run some of those decisions by her. I mean, a mom would've have understood Lena's motives in Beauiful Darkness and may have saved him some heartache.

3) Cabel (from Lisa McMann's WAKE/FADE/GONE series): I just adore him and I've never seen a more solid argument on someone who needs a mom more.

2) Cassel (from Holly Black's Curseworker series - White Cat/Red Glove): I know, I know, he has a mother but she's frequently in jail and I'm not (well, at least so far) and I bake. Enough said. That boy needs a homecooked meal and a mother who won't mess with his emotions. Well okay, an argument could be made that "all mothers do that anyway" but I'm not listening to that nonsense. LOL. Nope, not I.

1) Simon (from Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series, especially City of Fallen Angels): Okay, you expected me to pick Jace but the scene with Simon and his mother??? BROKE . MY . HEART . Because like most rational mamas, I would've said oh, okay, you're a vampire. I accept that. Sure, baby, I still love you. Now where can I procure some blood?


Katie's Top 5 Fictional Couples I'd Adopt In A Heartbeat
I feel like I always make the same list of favorite broken characters, and this time I wanted to branch out a bit to create a list of favorite broken character couples I'd like to adopt. Honestly, I couldn't narrow my list of broken characters down to 5, plus there's been a lot of great releases this year who have some fantastic characters I wanted to spotlight. This list of characters is from books that have been released this year.

* Annah & Catcher (from The Dark & Hollow Place by Carrie Ryan) I couldn't create a list and not add these two. Living in a world over run by zombies, with little hope of surviving would completely break my spirit, but these two didn't give up. When all hope seems lost they keep carrying on, even after all the horrid things they saw and experienced. How could I not want to go all motherly on them and give them what they needed to make it.

* Beatrice & Four (from Divergent by Veronica Roth) To keep this spoiler free I won't say much other than, HOLY CRAP these two have to deal with a lot. I wanted to close my eyes and scream out loud for them a few times. Yes Beatrice has a mother and I loved the role she played in the story, but there's a lot that happens to and around Beatrice & Four that made my mom instincts kick into high gear.

* Adam and Mia (from Where She Went by Gayle Forman) One box of kleenex's isn't going to last you through this book. Adam's voice is so raw and real that I felt broken just reading his POV. I wanted to fix both of their emotional scars and make everything better for them and tell them to go live happily ever after. I mean, don't all moms have that power? I wish I did and I'd use it on these two characters. No, I didn't give away spoiler, there's a lot that happens in this story to both Adam and Mia. You'll have to read the book to find out if they get their happily ever after....

* Nathaniel & Amelia (from The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell) Can Saundra rip my heart out even more than she did in The Vespertine? These two endure some heartache and make a few choices that I couldn't help by sympathize with. Being a romantic at heart I wanted the two of them to defy their different class structures and work out. These two needed a mother figure to tell them to go for it. I guess that would make me a social outcast for that time period. lol

* Kate & Vincent (from Die For Me by Amy Plum) These two characters are both broken in different, yet similar ways. I know that's vague, but for the sake of spoilers I don't want to ruin anything. They both help each other in ways no else can, which I loved as a reader, but being a mom I wanted to make everything better for the two of them. Poor Kate has dwelt with so much trauma and heartache. I couldn't help but cheer Kate & Vincent on through out the story, I wanted their relationship to work. You'll have to read it to find out if it does....

Who are some of your characters you'd like to adopt/mother?

7 comments:

  1. These are all great. I have a few more to add to that list! Griffin from Griffin Rising and Thomas from The Maze Runner series. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are great additions!!! Thank you! Happy Mother's Day to you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for choosing Simon! I would definitely choose him too, that scene made me cry! I'd also choose Tamani from the WINGS series. You picked some great couples, some from books I haven't read yet that I'm going to have to check out now! Happy Mother's Day ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather- Tamani is a great choice too! I love his character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are all such good sports for seeing how much fun we had with this post!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Labels