Mundie Moms

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book Review- Relic Master, The Dark City

By Catherine Fisher
Published by Dial Books/Penguin
Released on May 17th, 2011
Source- ARC from publisher for review
4 stars- I really enjoyed it

Welcome to Anara, a world mysteriously crumbling to devastation, where nothing is what it seems: Ancient relics emit technologically advanced powers, members of the old Order are hunted by the governing Watch yet revered by the people, and the great energy that connects all seems to also be destroying all. The only hope for the world lies in Galen, a man of the old Order and a Keeper of relics, and his sixteen-year-old apprentice, Raffi. They know of a secret relic with great power that has been hidden for centuries. As they search for it, they will be tested beyond their limits. For there are monstersÑsome human, some notÑthat also want the relic's power and will stop at nothing to get it (quoted from Goodreads).

The Dark City is full of magic, has some great characater twists, and an engaging adventure of a lost city, and a hidden class of people, the Relic Masters. This is a book both YA and older middle grade readers will enjoy. Catherine Fisher is a fantastic story teller. She has the ability to take her readers on these fascinating fantasy filled adventures, mixed with a little bit of sci-fi. By creating these vivid, darker worlds she's able to draw you in, and adds an elements of surprise by placing unique and often times reserved characters in the middle of it.

What I love about Catherine's characters are how layered they are. She doesn't give you everything you need to know about them up front, in stead she reveals little bits about them through out their journey. This allows her to throw in her well written plot twists. Just as I think I have a character figured out or think I know what's going to happen next, she completely surprises me with a character's revelation.

One of my favorite characters turned out to be Carys, which surprised me. Without giving away spoilers, her character is the one that changed the most. I like the way she's first introduced, and enjoyed seeing how much she seems to change at the end of the story. I also like the way in which Catherine wrote the story, she includes small doses of her point of view though most of the story is about Galen and Raffi. I really liked both of their characters. I think it's safe to say both of their characters were also a bit surprising, Galen especially. If I told you why, then I'd be giving stuff away. I recommend you go pick up the book to find out why....

Just in time for summer, the rest of this 4 book series will be released now through August, featuring a new release each month. One of the features I love about the series are the covers! Behind each cover you'll also find a map that goes along with each book. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series this summer and finding out what's in store for Galen, Raffi and Carys next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels