Mundie Moms

Monday, May 2, 2011

Book Review- The Lipstick Laws

By Amy Holder
Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Released on April 4th, 2011
Source- book from author to review
4 stars- I enjoyed it

At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her. For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity. But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay? (quoted from Goodreads).

The Lipstick Laws is a fun & flirty and at times humorous read, with a realistic plot line. I've heard it being compared to Mean Girls, which I've never seen, but going off the movie title alone I can see why. This book definitely has it's self centered, cruel girls, who take delight in making sure those not of "their social group" know where they stand. What you don't always see when you're in high school dealing with this, is people who act this are masking an insecurity they have by acting that way. I loved that Amy made a point to bring that to light in the book by having one of April's friends tell her that everyone has something they feel insecure about.

Talk about highschool flash backs! Amy did a great job at creating / recreating life in high school with this fun, quick read. Normally I'm not drawn to books like this, but Amy's protagonist April Browers has such a believable, and at times down right hilarious voice, that I couldn't stop reading the book. Feeling lonely after her best friend moves away, April feels invisible, but that changes when Britney decides to include her with her group, and The Lipstick Laws.

What drew me to April was her character and her voice. She made me laugh out loud and other times made me cringe at the choices she makes. April's character growth was very relatable, after all high school is about finding out who are, and making your mark in the world. Even with all the drama she deals with April's wittiness kept me laughing out loud through out the story. I'll admit, I loved it when she and the Lipstick Lawbreaker's got their revenge on Britney. Yes, I love it when those who get picked up stand up for themselves. Even though one of the plans kind of backfired on April, she definitely learns a lot and she's someone I think a lot of younger YA readers will relate to, with her insecurities and all. This is a read I'd definitely recommend to YA readers. There's a great message that lies within the story and a lot they'll be able to relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels