Mundie Moms

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Made from Awesome Mega Chat- Get to Know Author Jaclyn Dolamore


We are really excited to hosting the 2nd annual Made from Awesome Mega Chat. Last year we had an amazing time not only getting to talk to some fabulous authors over the span of two days, but we had a fun time hosting the after party on our site, which included giving away some awesome goodies.

This year we will be hosting the after party on April 13 & April 14th here on MM's. The party takes place immediately following the chat. Please be sure to go HERE to get all the information. This week we'll be featuring a few of the authors who will be attending like, Kiersten White, Jaclyn Dolamore, Beth Revis, Claudia Gable, and Coe Booth.

______________________________

















We're excited about your upcoming release, Between the Sea and Sky. What can you tell us about it?

Between the Sea and Sky was a story very near and dear to my heart; I loved writing it. Esmerine, the protagonist, is a mermaid who is considered a bit strange in her village because as a little girl her best friend was a winged boy named Alan who would come to the islands and bring her books. Alan had to stop coming when he went to school, so Esmerine has always missed him and books, which don't exist underwater. Now she's sixteen and her older sister runs off with a human. The mermaids can change their tails to legs, but every step is painful, like in the Little Mermaid (Hans Christian Andersen, not Disney, of course). Naturally, while looking for her sister, Esmerine reunites with Alan, but will childhood friendship turn to love when their worlds are so different, blah blah? It's certainly the most romantic novel I've written, I think. I hope people like it, I'm really nervous because hardly anyone has read it yet, but the characters certainly haunt my brain even now that it's done.

Do you have any plans to go on tour for Between the Sea and Sky's release?
Probably not, since tours are expensive and difficult to arrange for authors unless the publisher decides to send them, but I'll probably do a signing or two in the Orlando area where I live, at least. October is a ways off, though. There is certainly the possibility of doing something elsewhere!

What do you do to celebrate when you turn in your final manuscript?
Leave the house! Eat out! My favorite restaurant is Lac Viet Bistro, so that's usually where I go when I want to treat myself. Plus you can celebrate with Vietnamese food on a starving artist budget. I always order young coconut water and grilled chicken with rice vermicelli & extra fresh herbs on the side. Sometimes they don't have young coconuts and I want to cry. =(

What have you read lately that you'd recommend to us?
I just finished Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott, a Japanese Cinderella story of sorts. I love Asian-inspired fantasy and she did a lot of interesting things with it. It comes out in the UK in a few months, not sure about a US release. Mostly I am reading about 1920s bohemians and Weimar Berlin for my WIP, which is very fascinating!

Who's a favorite author of yours?
Kristin Cashore is probably my favorite current YA author. L. M. Montgomery is my favorite author of all time, particularly the Emily books, but I've read almost every published thing she's ever written.

Thank you Jaclyn for being with us today! We are really looking forward to chatting with you this week!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like too much fun to miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun last year! I'm really looking forward to this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like so much fun!! Too bad i can't join because of the time difference..

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie is the BEST! BtS&S is going to be AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

Labels