Mundie Moms

Friday, March 25, 2011

Book Review- If I Stay

Published by Speak
Released on April 6th, 2010
Source- Won signed book from Late Bloomers Online
4 stars- A Great Contemporary Book To Read

On a day that started like any other....

Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriends, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left- the most important decision she'll ever make.

Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving (quoted from the back of the book)

Gayle Forman's writing hooked me from the 1st page. Being sucked into If I Stay took me by surprise, as I'm not a huge fan of contemporary books, but Gayle's writing is addicting and I couldn't seem to get enough of Mia's story.

Mia herself is a character of strength. Having been in a horrific crash that will forever alter who she is and her family, Mia clings to the memories she has shared with those she loves, her parents, little brother Teddy, her boy friends Adam, her best friend Kim and her grandparents. These are characters I really enjoyed getting to know, and they've all had a huge impact in Mia's life and molded her into the person she is. Gayle introduces them in a unique way which for the most part is through Mia's memories as she's contemplating on whether she should stay or let go. It wasn't hard to sympathize with Mia's struggle, as she sees her grandparents, other family members, her boyfriend and best friend all gathered around her, but yearns for her parents and little brother.

I love all the elements and emotions that Gayle threw at me. I loved that not only is the story heart breaking, riveting and one that made me think, but it's one about hope, survival and love. There's two very moving scenes that really show the essence of love and that's with her Grandfather and with Adam. I'll admit, I was in tears reading them as Gayle's words painted a vivid picture of what these characters where feeling. They were all essential in helping Mia decide what she's going to do, as either choice she makes will be heartbreaking.

Gayle's natural talent for writing allowed her story to flow effortlessly between the past and the here an now. If I Stay has a writing style that captured my attention, altered my thought process and introduced me to characters that have left an impression on me. I am really looking forward to reading Where She Went. I recommend picking this book up. If you're not a fan of the f-bomb, know that it's mentioned a few times in the story.

You can also read Carla's awesome review for If I Stay here. Since we're going to be featuring Where She Went, we wanted to post a refresher for If I Stay.

6 comments:

  1. I ADORE this series and Gayle's writing is sooo amazingly beautiful, Where She Went is even better!! I'm sooo glad you liked this one. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another book that's been on my TBR for too long. Thank you for the review and the reminder that the next book will be out soon. Gotta get readin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I cried while reading this and I couldn't stop thinking about the novel after I had finished it. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I hope you like Where She Went!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys! I really like it and I've already started Where She Went. Gayle's writing is fantastic and I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is sitting on my bookshelf. I need to read it soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I Stay was such a great book and really sad also. I can't wait to read Where She Went and i hope Adam and Mia stay together!!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels