Mundie Moms

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Author Interview with Debut Author, Julia Karr


This year there are so many awesome debut books scheduled to release. We are looking forward to reading many of them, especially from the 2K11 class. Today I'd love to introduce to you one of those authors, Julia Karr, author of XVI.

Nina seems to be a very strong character, who's not only looking out for her sister, but trying to figure out who she is. What surprised you most about her character?
I was surprised (pleasantly) that she was willing to look at her own issues and see how they were affecting her view of the world around her. And, that she was willing to go out of her comfort zone, but also stay true to herself.

Out of Nina's friends she has through out the story, who did you enjoy getting to know the most?
It probably comes as no surprise that I love Sandy. She’s a total muzz - but I love her anyway. I think, however, that one of my favorite friends to get to know was Mike. He’s not the smoothest guy, but he has very deep feelings and when he figures out something is wrong -- he’s not going to let it lie.

Where do you draw your inspiration from when writing the more emotional scenes?
Not surprisingly, I craft those emotional scenes from my own life. My mother died when I was eighteen and I can still recall the agony of loosing someone that close to you.

Did you allow yourself a fun indulgence when you finished writing XVI?
Uh... no. Can I just say that when XVI launches I am having a big party & someone else can drive! O.o lol!

Do you have a favorite literary character? If so, who and why?
One? I only get to pick one? Well... if I must - it has to be Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. Lizzie is bright, fun, and although she works within the confines of the society she lives in, she does not indulge in all the silliness and vacuity as do the majority of the girls/women around her. And, the fact that she managed to turn out so well with a mother like Mrs. Bennet. Sheesh! She should get a medal! (Well... she did get Mr. Darcy & that’s better than any medal, isn’t it? ;) )

_________________________________________
Thank you so much Julia for joining us today! I'm looking forward to sharing my review for XVI this month on our blog. In the mean time you can visit Julia on her sites here Web & here 2K11 & follow her on Twitter. You can order XVI here Amazon | B&N | Borders | Indiebound or go pick it up TODAY at your local book store.

9 comments:

  1. XVI comes out today! I can't wait, it sounds like such a powerful read. I simply adore Elizabeth Bennett as well- thanks for the interview. I can't wait until I read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to be Elizabeth Bennett when I grow up.

    CONGRATS, Julia, on the release of XVI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liza Bennett is my favorite too!
    Amazon wrote to tell me my copy of XVI is on its way. Can't wait to read it! Congrats Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, I can't wait to read XVI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have fun at your launch party. You deserve it after all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. XVI is on its way according to amazon!! I can hardly wait to read it. And Lizzie Bennett is my absolute all-time fave female character! Great interview, MMs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your launch party Julie! I'm so excited to read this! It's ordered and hopefully will soon be on it's way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the launch of XVI, Julia! I was lucky enough to read it already and I can tell you - people are going to love it! Hope you're out celebrating RIGHT NOW! Thanks for a great interview, Katieb!

    ReplyDelete

Labels