Mundie Moms

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday- Harry Potter
























I went back and forth about posting something uplifting, or posting something fun, and with the midnight releases of Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows, which is HUGE for so many people, I thought it would be fun to post about something fun. Today's post is about Harry Potter & The Harry Potter Alliance.

While the rest of the Mundie Moms Admin team have all read and loves the Harry Potter series, I have yet to finish all the books (ducks from the flying objects) I know! Shocking. I'm on book 4 and I wasn't planning on seeing the movie until I finished reading all the books, as for me, if I see the movie before I read the book I often times won't read the book (case in point Harry Potter). BUT, now with tonight's release I may have to go watch the movie before I read the book...

We want to know what kind of traditions do you have to celebrate the release of Harry Potter? Do you keep your kids home from school and get dressed up as your favorite character before you go out tonight? Do you have a Harry Potter movie marathon? Do you make up some of the food that they serve at Hogwarts? What is it that you do and what are you most looking forward tonight? What is your favorite movie and/or our favorite book out of the series?

Speaking of Harry Potter, if you donate $40 to The Harry Potter Alliance, you will be entered to win a set of the Harry Potter books signed by J.K. Rowling!! We've featured this amazing organization before on Mundie Moms, but if you're not familiar with them, be sure to visit their site here http://thehpalliance.org/ They do so much in the way of giving back to the community nationally and world wide.

9 comments:

  1. I just turned 20 years old on Sunday, and for my birthday my roommate bought tickets for a Midnight Premiere of Harry Potter! This whole week, we've been watching one of the other Harry Potter movies a night, and have had a million different conversations about what the new one is going to be like

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok Katie, we know you'll get to them. Just make sure you *do* read them, the last 3 books are awesome, you will love them!

    We don't have any traditions w/ Harry Potter. I've never gotten to go to a HP midnight release and I was hoping this year would be the year but nah.. didn't work out. We are going to watch HP on Saturday as soon as hubby gets off of work, and I can't wait.

    Favorite book out of all of them is definitely Deathly Hallows. not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer- How fun!!! Enjoy tonight.

    Steph- LOL thank you! :) The movies ruined the books for me. Not that either is bad, it's just as I've read the books, I keep picturing the movie in my mind. Book 4 is really good and I really enjoyed movies 4 and 5 the best. I'm hoping to have the rest read soon!!

    Enjoy watching the movie this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before, I read some books here and then, but never really got into it. I was 9 years old when I first read Harry Potter after watching the movie--and that's when I fell in love with reading. J.K.Rowling is my hero when it comes to writing and reading. She introduced me, with Harry Potter, how much more there is to books, and I've been reading since then. Harry Potter is my childhood book. When I was a kid, I called it my first "grown up" book because it was more than 100 pages. Me and my twin sis would watch H.P. when it's one TV usually before the new ones come out. We haven't bought DVDs yet beacuse we wanted the complete set. We always watch it the day it comes out, and this year we're lucky to be allowed to watch it on midnight!! (FYI, we bought the tickets 2 weeks ago. Yah, that's how much of a fan we are.) I actually just finnished Deeathly Hallows yesterday. I've bought that book the day it came out, but I just couldn't make myslef read it. Especially in her dedication "and you who have stick with Harry till the end", :( It's too sad for my to have my childhood book end. But after reading it, although sad, I', actually contented. And as much as I would love to read more of J.K.'s amazing world, I think this should be Harry's last book. And J.K.Rowling had done it with nothing short of brilliant.



    P.S.
    Fave movie(for now, still haven't seen HP7): HP4
    Fave book: HP7

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definitely say you should read the books before watching the movie! I'm the same way: it's hard for me to read a book after watching the movie adaptation first. And the HP books are for sure something you do not want to miss out on!!!! But maybe I'm a little biased about this...
    I am so jealous of the people who are going to see the movie at midnight tonight. I have to wait until Friday night! Ugh!
    I think each book is better than the one before it which is why I'm adamant that you read the series until the end. You won't regret it!
    Sorry for being so crazily obsessive about this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to the last four midnight releases - they're always fun. As far as Harry Potter related stuff I always marathon the previous movies leading up to the one being released before seeing the next one. I also generally re-read my fav. passages from that book & make chocolate frogs as well as chow down on Bertie Bots Every Flavor Beans; I have ten packages that I'm sneaking into the movie tonight.

    As far as my favorite book goes - it would have to be book 6 - Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince. But then again I've always been a huge Snape fan from the get-go so it's really no surprise that I'd like that book the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rachel - you make chocolate frogs? how neat!! I knew you could buy Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans but haven't been brave enough to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE all the books and all the movies. I saw HP 7 part 1 opening night! It was amazing!! Only problem is now I really want to see number 2. To get ready for the movie, a bunch of friends (30 or so) get dressed up as different characters have a party with all sorts of yummy wizarding food (butterbeer, Bernie Botts Beans, choc frogs, etc) hang out and then go to the movie. It was excellent. By the way the youngest in our group was 18 the oldest 29, that is what is so great about HP, it's for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aylee- I'm dying to see the movie, as I've heard so many great things about it, but I really want to read the book 1st. I know it's silly, as I didn't read the other books before watching the other movies. I know if I see this w/o reading the books, I won't finishing reading the books.

    Rachel- How fun! You have chocolate frogs!?! I love it!!!

    Krissy- That's a great age group to go see the movie with. Not that anyone younger or older isn't fun. I love that HP has such a wide age group age of fans.

    ReplyDelete

Labels