Mundie Moms

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Author Interview with Samantha Young, author of Lunarmorte

I am very excited to have Samantha Young, author of a wonderful debut book Lunarmorte, on our blog today. Here's a synopsis of the story:

Existing in the shadows of our world are supernatural races; children blessed by the ancient Greek gods with unimaginable gifts, and at present they are fighting a two-thousand-year old war with one another.

The Midnight Coven, an alliance of dark magiks, faeries, and daemons born of black magik, believe that the vampyres and lykans are lesser supernaturals and a threat to mankind. They are at war with the Daylight Coven, a confederate of light magiks, faeries, vampyres and lykans who believe in the equality of the races.

Into this war seventeen-year-old Caia Ribeiro is born...a lykan with a heritage unlike any other. A heritage that, whether she wants it to or not, will put her into the very heart of battle... (quoted from Goodreads).

I absolutely love your richly detailed mythology in Lunarmorte. What inspired you to write such a vivid mythology?

I’d always wanted to write fantasy fiction, but I had been waiting for something that little bit different to inspire the kind of vibrant supernatural world I wanted to create. It was during my classes at university where I was studying ancient and medieval history that I first really explored the mythology of the ancient Greeks and realised how perfect these wonderfully complex gods could be as creators of supernatural races, and how some of the Greek myths themselves could be adapted to the pre-existing folklore surround supernatural beings.

I was fascinated by your unique spin with paranormal characters and their ability. Which character did you enjoy writing the most?

In Book One I definitely loved writing Caia’s character. She’s pretty unique as far as paranormal character’s go and it gave me such a wide spectrum to play with. Moreover, because she’s so special, her character development was so much fun. She really grows as the novel progresses and continues to do so in the next instalment; getting to create someone as spunky and kick-ass as Caia is the best job ever…I tend to forget that she’s fictional and hopefully readers will too :-p

Which character surprised you the most in terms of their character growth?

I was surprised mostly with Jaeden’s character because even though I always had certain plans for her (no spoilers) I hadn’t realised at the outset how much that would affect her character development. I’m so happy with the ways things turned out with Jaeden’s character growth, however, because she’s definitely one of my favourite characters out of the entire trilogy.

I am really looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Are you able to give us any hints about what we can expect in the sequel?

The war really becomes the forefront of the story in the second instalment as Caia is inevitably drawn into it. Moreover, the world of Lunarmorte opens up to the life outside of the Pack so we’re introduced to some really interesting supernaturals.; there’s plenty of action and intrigue as Caia explores life amongst the leaders and warriors of the Daylight Coven.

Do you have a favorite paranormal book that you'd recommend to us to read?

*Big smile* I think you may be familiar with my favourite paranormal book…or books should I say. I absolutely love The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I also love, love, love the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead and Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. Too many to choose from…I can’t do something as simple as pick just one. Book worm.
_________________

Thank you Samantha for being with us today! We love that you're a big TMI fan. :)

You can read my 5 star review for Lunarmorte here- http://tinyurl.com/26fy9f5
You can read more about Lunarmorte by visiting Samantha's site here http://samyoungyafantasyauthor.blogspot.com/.
You purchase a copy of the book here http://tinyurl.com/27rvcy5

4 comments:

  1. I just won a copy of Lunarmorte and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive! This story sounds so good...and thanks for a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie- Thank you! That is so awesome you won it! Enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha sounds as awesome as her book! I'm a huge VA fan too! This excellent interview only solidifies the fact that I need to buy Lunarmorte!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for providing this interview! The more I hear about Lunamorte, the more I need to find a copy. :-) It sounds like a great read and I always love a rich mythology.

    ReplyDelete

Labels