Mundie Moms

Monday, October 11, 2010

Book Review- Beautiful Darkness

By Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Published by Little Brown
To Be Released On October 12th, 2010- TOMORROW
Source- Author/Publisher
5 Stars- I Highly Recommend This Book!

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems. (quoted from Goodreads)

I absolutely loved returning to Gatlin County in Beautiful Darkness. The cover sets the perfect tone for what is revealed within it's pages. It's beautiful, haunting, twisty and I found myself a lot more emotionally invested in this wondeful sequel.

Kami & Margie have this unique talent for making me feel like I'm apart of Ethan and Lena's world. Whether that be searching the Castor tunnels, in the caves and the forest that are apart of Gatlin county, the Caster world in which Ethan is introduced to, the Gatlin Library or at their homes. No matter where the setting took me too, I felt I was there. The descriptions are so rich in detail and so vivid, that I'm completely swept up into the pages of Beautiful Darkness, more so than I was with Beautiful Creatures.

Can Ethan get any more perfect? I know, it's wrong of me to use the word perfect right?! Ethan's love for Lena spans their families interwoven history, and is Lena's life line. Like many sequels, this one is a character journey for Lena. She has a choice to make and though she had me so emotional ticked off at her for part of the book, I understood her dilemma and admired Ethan's, "I'll go to the ends of the earth for you" determination. Ethan will not lose the girl he loves, no matter what the cost. In learning more about the Caster world and what Ethan and Lena are really up against, I was able to understand Lena more and really grasp the risk Ethan takes in trying to help her.

The characters- I really enjoyed getting to know Liv, who has a talent that I will not giveaway, but that's just say her character surprised me. I mean that in a good way. I adored Link even more so in Beautiful Darkness. He's such a great best friend to Ethan! I loved his character in Beautiful Creatures, but I find him even more humorous in Beautiful Darkness. He's humor always came at just the right moments. I was fascinated by Ethan's Great Aunts in Beautiful Creatures, but now I completely adore their characters! Amma is the same old lovable, stubborn character she was before. Just wait till you met the new bad boy! I won't say anything else.... there's more to him than we get to read about in Beautiful Darkness.

Beautiful Darkness is truly a well written sequel. There's nothing I would change about it. I loved it, as I was so emotionally charged while reading it. There's mystery, love, suspense, and more in Beautiful Darkness. Now that my questions I had at the end of Beautiful Creatures are answered, I'm eagerly awaiting the next book for my latest questions to be answered. If you need a fascinating story to get lost in, go PICK UP Beautiful Darkness tomorrow!


Kami and Margie are kicking off their Beautiful Darkness tour this week! We are co-hosting their TX stops! Be sure to find out all the details here http://tinyurl.com/23xk2wm

Be sure to visit Caster Girls to see the teaser trailers and find out more about Beautiful Darkness http://www.casterchronicles.com/enterthedarkness/

The trailer was created by Vania Stoyanova of VLC Photo

3 comments:

  1. Great review!! I can't wait to finally read it soon. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this one and I'm happy to hear it more than lives up to BC. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went out last night hoping that Wallys would stock it a smidge early. But, nope. LOL. So I'm going back out today.

    ReplyDelete

Labels