Mundie Moms

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Twitter Tuesday - Cassie Clare

So, let's talk about IT, Mundie Moms. And by "IT", I know that some of you already know what I'm talking about. The last few days, Cassie has been tweeting about a topic that seems to have a life of its own and simply won't go away.

- S P O I L E R A L E R T for C I T Y O F G L A S S -

The MMs Admin team thought that, perhaps, it was time to put this to bed, so to speak.

Here's the general theme of the questions that Cassie has been asked: Did Jace and Clary do IT (we're trying to keep this blog PG rated in case little eyes can read over their Mom's shoulder) at the end of City of Glass?

And here's a collection of Cassie's tweets. We've replaced a certain word with the phrase "you-know-what":

I've decided I've figured out what the problem is. The scene in question ends with them kissing on some steps. The next scene begins "After some time they came down the stairs and into the square, where a crowd had begun to gather." Obviously people feel that the crowd was gathering in order to watch them have acrobatic [you-know-what] on the staircase. It was very nice of everyone not to mention it when they rejoined the party! :D

Like I said before if the fact that J&C *haven't* slept together wasn't something that comes up in COFA, I probably wouldn't bother clarifying at all. But keeping that first scene and the next scene located firmly in a public place *was* something I did so people wouldn't think they'd had [you-know-what] -- obvs. didn't work as well I thought it would. :)

Cassie does give us a glimpse into, in particular, Jace's mindset at the end of City of Glass:


Q. "I actually thought Jace seemed strangely detached for some1 who could finally be all over his girl, because she was no longer *forbidden* ..."

A. It was actually an interestingly difficult scene to write, because while I don't really think of Jace as ever being "all over" anyone :D, certainly "unbridled joy that Clary is not his sister" is not a weird thing to expect. And note, Clary herself is concerned that he seems detached, and asks him about it. But he does explain - he feels completely lost as to who he is - and even the things he doesn't state out loud hang in the air: he's just survived a war, his little brother is dead, the man he thinks of as his father is dead, death and loss are all around them, mixed in with the celebration. The scene had to be bittersweet; unbridled joy just wouldn't have worked.

Q. "but then I assumed that's precisely why they still have relationship issues in CoFA, still working things out."

A. Not really; their relationship issues in COFA are of a very different sort. :D

So once and for all, nope, they didn't do it. Not at all. Not on the steps. Not during the fireworks. Nope. We here on Mundie Moms, truly hope that questions along these lines will stop. For us, the TMI series is not a coming-of-age story (like a Judy Blume's Forever-style-book) but it's more than that -- it's about finding yourself when circumstances are beyond difficult and having the courage and will to do what is right in the end. We hope that Cassie gets asked more questions about the Shadowhunter world, their biases, character studies, future plot lines -- truly anything but this.

Now, we really hope that this line of questioning is finished and we can all look forward to our favorite characters' further adventures in City of Fallen Angels as well as anticipate their ancestor's stories in Clockwork Angel.

12 comments:

  1. Bravo for putting this to rest.
    X Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making this today's Twitter Tuesday. Yes, to everything you said. I feel bad Cassie has had to talk about this so many times. Maybe now that's she said NO Jace and Clary do not do "you know what", no one will ask her any more.

    That moment isn't what makes the series. It's not about a coming of age story by any means. I'm glad they didn't it. After all they have just been through, especially Jace, that wouldn't be something I'd except they'd rush in and do, especially in public.

    On a side note, you can have a great YA series/book with out having the characters do, well, you know what. To me a great book and series is all about the character chemistry and Cassie does a brilliant job with that in the MI series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I never even thought that they did. Funny how people read things differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you said this. i agree with you totally :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Vintage Sew and So. We all figured it was time especially after viewing Cassie's very direct tweet answers.

    KatieB (MundieMoms) - I'm glad we talked about it. Thank you for allowing me to post it and vent a little.

    Dawn - I know. I read it the EXACT same way, like they didn't do it. I think people also forget the compressed timeline. This all takes place over a relatively short amount of time.

    Phew. Glad our comments are finally showing up. I was staring at "0 Comments" wondering if anybody would speak up. Thanks guys for chiming in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome Vintage.

    Dawn- I know. Everyone reads things so differently. We have felt bad as Cassie has had to answer this question so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That line of questioning seemed so strange to me. I mean, I get that people are interested in what happens behind closed doors of their favorite characters (or out in the open on public steps as it were), but to assume they did [you-know-what] in that manner just seemed so...there are no words.

    I tweeted Cassie asking if it seemed as strange to her as it did to me that some were under the assumption that they did (because the thought never occurred to me), and she gave me a brilliant answer!

    I do hope, for her sake, that people DO stop asking her. She's answered, NO they did not, so it should be a moot point now, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad y'all made such a prominent post about this. We see sexual content in YA books, and that's understandable given the age range it's intended for. As a mom of teens, I truly appreciate when an author treats the subject with the respect and seriousness it deserves, and I think Cassandra Clare did that in TMI.

    Having said that, sex isn't the theme or topic of these books. I'd be really happy to see more questions that provide us with insight to these fascinating characters, and that give us a better understanding of this interesting world.

    So, thanks for the reality check, MundieMoms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Louise, I totally agree. Sophie and I talked about this last night and have on numerous other occasions as well and we feel the same way Cassie does about it.

    I agree that Cassie does an amazing job at treating the subject the way she does. There's so many other things related to the MI series than that one scene. The world building is amazing and the characters are fascinating. If people read the MI books to see if Jace and Clary have sex, than they're reading the wrong type of series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophie- You're welcome. You said everything we had already talked about and nothing I haven't said before. I think it's sad that Cassie has to keep talking about it. There's so many more things she can be addressing with her fans on her series that than one scene.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ddpjclaf - Thank you for your comment. I agree, it is a strange line of questioning given J+C's situation -- a war, deaths of loved ones (Max not Valentine), death of a father...their world literally collapsing around them. But, I suppose, when I was a teenager I might have wondered if and when they would. So I understand the questions, in theory, just the fact that they're repeatedly asked and answered is what puzzles me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also if that's what people enjoy reading, there are certainly lists of books containing those very scenes (albeit not between J+C) and there's also fan fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Labels