Mundie Moms

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Book Review ~ Split

By Swati Avasthi
Published by Random House
Released March 9th 2010
Source: Around the World Tours
5stars

Sixteen-Year-Old Jace Witherspoon arrives at the doorstep of his estranged brother Christian with a re-landscaped face (courtesy of his father’s fist), $3.84, and a secret.
He tries to move on, going for new friends, a new school, and a new job, but all his changes can’t make him forget what he left behind—his mother, who is still trapped with his dad, and his ex-girlfriend, who is keeping his secret.
At least so far.
Worst of all, Jace realizes that if he really wants to move forward, he may first have to do what scares him most: He may have to go back. First-time novelist Swati Avasthi has created a riveting and remarkably nuanced portrait of what happens after. After you’ve said enough, after you’ve run, after you’ve made the split — how do you begin to live again? Readers won’t be able to put this intense page-turner down.

Sorry if you have previously read this review on my blog. It was such a good book, I wanted to post it again.

WOW! Outstanding debut from Swati Avasthi, my favorite from 2010 so far; it's raw, gritty, and graphic. Swati, does not sugarcoat what happened to this family, and I am glad- it makes it real. Split, follows the life of Jace, after he decides to do something about his abusive father and the effect domestic violence has on a family. This is a subject I strongly feel needs to be written about for Young Adults - especially one incident involving Jace. I will not be surprised if this book ends up winning lots of awards, and is on every reading list for 2011.


Jace has had enough, and in a split decision decides to fight back. It didn't accomplish much, but it did get him thrown out. His mom tells him to find his brother, the brother that ran away 5yrs earlier. When Jace turns up at Christians house 1300 miles away from home, Christian agrees to take him in, no questions asked.

Like brothers, they have their problems, but the abuse Christian suffered has left him cold and unwelcoming. Jace's main concern is the mother he left behind and the ex-girlfriend who knows something he is not willing to share with anyone.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very thought provoking, eye opening book that tackles some serious issues not common in YA books. Thank you for the review, as I've not heard of this book until now and it's one I'm definitely adding to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering about this one and have thumbed through it. Wow! What a review...I'm going to have to pick it up now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this book last week, and man, it made me think! I love your review, my thoughts exactly!

    ReplyDelete

Labels