Mundie Moms

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Book Review - The Pace


By Shelena Shorts
Published by Lands Atlantic Publishing
Released August 2009
4 stars- I enjoyed it and recommend picking it up

Synopsis (from Lands Atlantic Publishing):
Weston Wilson is not immortal and he is of this world. But, aging is not part of his existence, and eighteen-year-old Sophie Slone is determined to find out why. In doing so, she could also uncover something about her own life expectancy that she may not want to know. Suddenly, immortality will mean everything and nothing all at the same time.

This book has been on my TBR List for a while. You know, it's one of those that you keep picking up and thinking, yes, I need to read this and yet you don't seem to get around to it? I know you have them, too.

Well, stop waiting. Seriously. The book suffers from endless comparisons to Twilight but in my opinion, those comparisons are not merited -- at all.

Yes, there's a mysterious boy, Wes, and a new girl in town, Sophie. But that's where the comparisons end. Sophie arrives in Berkeley, CA because of her mother's new job. In her first few days there, she literally crashes into Wes, well, into his car. The two of them have an interesting exchange and somehow, he keeps popping up no matter where she is around campus.

I won't divulge Wes' secret but I will say that it's a very unique approach to paranormal romance. I liked the explanation but moreover, I liked their romance and their instant link to each other which is completely justified by the end of the story.

If you want to read a paranormal romance that has a different approach in its mythology and if you like a romantic pairing that seems destined from the start, pick up The Pace. You'll see, it'll make you anxious to see what happens in the sequel, The Broken Lake which will be published on August 19th and yes, of course, I've pre-ordered it.

9 comments:

  1. I can not wait to read this!! Great review. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab review! I'd not heard of this book before but it sounds really intriguing. Shall definitely be getting it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it when you guys post about a book I've never heard of. I just added it to my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this sounds like an interesting plot. Now I am wondering what the secret is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mundie Moms - You will like it, for sure.

    Splendibird - I liked the mythology. It was different.

    Dawn - Hope you enjoy it.

    Melina - LOL. I can't divulge it, spoiler-free and all, but there are enough spoilers out there on goodreads/amazon if you search for it. But I will say it is a pretty cool, more sci fi approach. How's that for a smidge more?? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOo Here we ago again lol another book I am going to have look into! Loved your review hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dee - LOL. I know you and how fast you read. The mythology here is what caught my attention and well, yes, the romance. That was a given.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this review. Can't wait to get a hold of this book now! Happy mother's day Mundies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you will like it, Heather. Cool mythology. And, yes, romance. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels